What we do
We provide quality education and training for high demand allied healthcare occupations. Many students in our classes are interested in becoming
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- a Medical Coding specialist or
- completing courses enabling transfer to other health related professions at Kodiak College and the University of Alaska Anchorage.
Kodiak College's Allied Health program, part of the College of Health at UAA, is home to training programs for allied health professionals, specifically designed to prepare graduates for work in rewarding careers in Alaska's rapidly growing health care industry.
Allied health professionals are involved with the delivery of health related services pertaining to the identification, evaluation and prevention of diseases and disorders, rehabilitation, and health systems management, amoung others.
In addition to instruction by allied health professionals, most programs provide experiential education with students working alongside health professionals in real-work situations.
What Will I Learn?
- Proficiency in the performance of Current Procedural Terminology (CPT)
- Proficiency in the performance of Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS)
- Proficiency in the performance of International Classification of Diseases, Clinical Modification (ICD-9CM) diagnostic coding
What Can I Do With This Degree?
Medical office coders work in medical offices, outpatient settings, hospitals and insurance companies. They specialize in coding records for statistical and reimbursement purposes.
Meeting Student's Needs:
A look at the TAACCCT Consortium of Healthcare Occupations Online (CHEO) project.
See more at: North American Network of Science Labs Online (NANSLO) and at:
Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training Program (TAACCCT)
Get an idea of what allied health courses are offered each semester!
Spring 2014 Quick Schedule
Register online at UAA
Meet the Instructors
Dr. Suzanne Buie, Department Chair
Lori Cook, Career Coach
Photos and Videos
A few photos & videos of students in our medical coding program.
Support for Students