AAS, Technology Construction Emphasis
The Associate of Applied Science, Technology degree program is designed to provide entry-level skills, continuing education, and advanced technical skills in several specialized fields including Welding, Construction, and Occupational Safety.
Hover over a question above to learn more
- Understand, describe, and analyze the physical components found in technical systems.
- Understand and apply safety practices.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of science, math, and computers in technical fields.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills using industrual terminology, technology and documentation procedures that adhere to industry codes and standards.
- Define basic building systems, equipment, materials, techniques and assemblies used in construction.
- Define basic electrical, mechanical, structural and civil theories that affect the construction process, in addition to safety, health, and environmental issues related to construction activities.
- Define the roles, relationships, and responsibilities of the participants in the construction process.
Oral Communications GER (3CR) Select one of the following:
- COMM A111 Methods of Oral Communication
- COMM A235 Small Group Communication
- COMM A237 Interpersonal Communication
- COMM A241 Public Speaking
Written Communications GER (6CR)
- ENGL A111 Methods of Written Communication
- ENGL A212 Technical Writing
Mathematics GER (3CR)
- MATH A105 Intermediate Algebra
Natural Sciences GER (4CR) Select one of the following:
- CHEM A103/L Survey of Chemistry with Lab
- CHEM A105/L General Chemistry with Lab
- GEOL A111 Physical Geology
- PHYS A123/L Basic Physics I with Lab
Technology Core Requirements
- AET A101 Fundamentals to CADD for Building Construction
- CIS A105 Introduction to Personal Computers and Software Applications
- ET A151 Basic Electricity for the Trades
- HUMS A153 Human Relations or HUMS A155 Human Relations in the Workplace
- OSH A101 Introduction to Occupational Safety and Health
- OSH A250 Hazardous Material Operations
- TECH A101 Introduction to Technological Principles
Construction Emphasis Requirements
- CM A102 Methods of Building Construction
- CM A123 Codes and Standards
- CM A142 Mechanical and Electrical Technology
- CM A201 Construction Project Management
- CM A205 Construction Safety
- CM A213 Civil Technology
- CM A231 Structural Technology
- TECH A295 Technical Internship
- Knowledge of phases of a construction project from start to finish
- Principles of carpentry, masonry, electrical work, HVAC and plumbing
- Interpretation of construction drawings
- Frame walls, ceilings and floors
- Installation of proper wiring
- Installation of plumbing systems
The avergage wage for a construction laborer is $50-$80 per hour.
The employment growth is moderate with high employment opportunities.