Quality Matters (QM)
Quality Matters (QM) - Excellence in eLearning Course Design
The Quality Matters (QM) Program is a nationally recognized, faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses and online components. Colleges and universities across and beyond the U.S. use the tools in developing, maintaining and reviewing their online courses and in training their faculty.
The Quality Matters Rubric has become the most widely used set of standards for the design of online and blended courses at the college level. Today, more than 700 colleges and universities subscribe to the non-profit Quality Matters Program.
The QM Process for continuous improvement is the framework for quality assurance efforts in online learning and provides effective professional development for faculty making the transition into distance education.
Kodiak College uses the QM Program to guarantee quality education for its eLearners. As part of its implementation of the QM Program, Kodiak College has:
- 46 individuals trained
- 9 peer reviewers
- 5 master reviewers
- 4 trainer/facilitators
Courses with completed formal peer reviews include:
- BIOL 112 (Human Anatomy & Physiology II; Dr. Sue Buie) received certification Aug. 21, 2012
- EDEL 205 (Becoming an Elementary Teacher; Kitty Deal) received certification July 26, 2013
- BA 273 (Introduction to Business and Economic Statistics; Kathrynn Hollis-Buchanan) received certification December 17, 2013
- EDEC 105 (Introduction to the Field of Early Childhood Education; Kitty Deal) received certification March 3, 2014
Courses currently under review include:
- ENGL 111 (Methods of Written Communication), Jordana Long
- ENVI 211 (Environmental Science: Earth as an Ecosystem), Cindy Trussell & Linda Himelbloom
- ENVI 211L (Environmental Science LAB: Earth as an Ecosystem), Cindy Trussell & Linda Himelbloom
Courses awaiting formal peer review include:
- CIOS 150 (Presentations I: PowerPoint), Heather Corriere
- EDEC A303 (Inclusive Classrooms for Young Children), Kitty Deal
- EDEC A241 (Infant and Toddler Development), Kitty Deal
If you are a faculty member who would like to have one of your developed courses undergo the peer review process, please refer to the Blackboard shell, QualityMatters@KoC, for details.
The Quality Matters program was implemented in Years 1 and 2 of the Sea Change Grant, and it remains an ongoing effort throughout Years 3-5.