Quality Matters (QM)
Quality Matters (QM) - Excellence in eLearning Course Design
The Quality Matters (QM) Program is an internationally recognized, faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses and online components. Colleges and universities across and beyond the U.S. use the tools in developing, maintaining and reviewing their online courses and in training their faculty.
The Quality Matters Rubric has become the most widely used set of standards for the design of online and blended courses at the college level. Today, more than 800 colleges and universities subscribe to the non-profit Quality Matters Program.
The QM Process for continuous improvement is the framework for quality assurance efforts in online learning and provides effective professional development for faculty making the transition into distance education.
Kodiak College uses the QM Program to guarantee quality education for its eLearners. As part of its implementation of the QM Program, Kodiak College is now part of the Alaska Statewide QM Consortium and currently has:
- 2 QM coordinators
- 52 individuals trained on the rubric tool and review process
- 5 current certified peer reviewers
- 5 former certified peer reviewers
- 5 certified master reviewers
- 3 certified trainer/facilitators
- 1 previous facilitator
- 52 national peer review teams on which we have served
Courses with completed formal peer reviews (12) include:
- BIOL 112 (Human Anatomy & Physiology II; Dr. Sue Buie) received certification Aug. 21, 2012
- EDEL 205 (Becoming an Elementary Teacher; Kitty Deal) received certification July 26, 2013
- BA 273 (Introduction to Business and Economic Statistics; Kathrynn Hollis-Buchanan) received certification December 17, 2013
- EDEC 105 (Introduction to the Field of Early Childhood Education; Kitty Deal) received certification March 3, 2014
- ENGL 111 (Methods of Written Communication; Jordana Long) received certification April 21, 2014
- ENVI 211L (Environmental Science LAB: Earth as an Ecosystem; Cindy Trussell & Linda Himelbloom) received certification May 5, 2014
- EDEC A303 (Inclusive Classrooms for Young Children; Kitty Deal) received certification July 8, 2014
- ENVI 211 (Environmental Science: Earth as an Ecosystem; Cindy Trussell & Linda Himelbloom) received certification July 21, 2014
- EDEC A241 (Infant and Toddler Development; Kitty Deal) received certification August 13, 2014
- ECON A202 (Microeconomics; Kathrynn Hollis-Buchanan) received certification September 2, 2014
- OSH A250 (Hazardous Materials Operations; Steve Tidwell) received certification September 4, 2014
- ENGL A213 (Writing in the Natural and Social Sciences; Jordana Long) received certification September 5, 2014
Courses currently under review (1) include:
- LSIC A332 (Science, Technology, and Culture), Cindy Trussell and Lisa Hupp
Courses awaiting formal peer review (7) include:
- EDEC A106 (Creativity and the Arts in Early Childhood), Kitty Deal
- BIOL A111 (Human Anatomy & Physiology), Dr. Sue Buie
- ECON A201 (Macroeconomics), Kathrynn Hollis-Buchanan
- STAT 252 (Elementary Statistics), Jesse Mickelson
- OSH A108 (Injury Prevention and Risk Management), Michael Patterson
- OSH A120 (Safety Progress Management & Recordkeeping), Michael Patterson
- BIOL A178 (Fundamentals of Oceanography), W. Chris Long
If you are a faculty member who would like to have one of your developed courses undergo the peer review process, please refer to the Blackboard shell, "Quality Matters at KoC", for details.
The Quality Matters program was implemented in Years 1 and 2 of the Sea Change Grant, and it remains an ongoing effort throughout Years 3-5. For more information, please contact Debbi Canavan (907-486-1202907-486-1202) at email@example.com.